Twenty four members of a family have died of suspected food poisoning in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Ali Innameon, who confirmed the deaths in a statement on Tuesday, said the incident occurred on Monday, August 9.
According to the Commissioner, the incident was caused by use of a fertiliser type of chemical, popularly called ‘Gishirin Lalle in Hausa’ as seasoning in domestic family cooking which was considered as common salt.
“Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival. Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive,” Inname said.
Photo: Deputy Governor, Hon. Manir Dan-Iya on condolence visit to the village