Former WBC boxing champion, Deontay Wilder has blasted Tyson Fury for claiming he had Covid-19 saying the gypsy king was not fit to fight him in July and struggled during his training camp so had to bring up the excuse of Covid-19.
The pair were originally meant to face each other for a third time for the WBC belt on July 24, but a COVID outbreak in Fury’s camp postponed the fight until October 9.
Wilder now says he was told that Fury had been struggling during sparring and the younger heavyweight boxers he was training with had been ‘piecing him up.’
“I’m ready. I hope they are ready,” the former champion told the PBC Podcast.
“I hope they have their priorities in line. Their game-plan, how they are going to approach the fight.
“They’re trying to run away from it, I’m running to it. I don’t believe he had COVID… I know he wasn’t doing well in camp. The young guys were piecing him up. I had a young guy from my camp who was piecing him up.”
Wilder said about his own preparations: “Sparring has been amazing. I can’t say names but just know there have been a lot of people on the canvas.”
Wilder’s statement comes as a surprise as he chose to say nothing when he and Fury came face-to-face at the original press conference for the third fight.
Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder the last time they met back in February 2020.
Ahead of his third fight with Wilder he trained with Michael Hunter, Christian Thun, Jared Anderson and Nigerian boxer, Efe Ajagba .